FOX NEWS REACHES ACROSS PARTY LINES
By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN
Published on DickMorris.com on October 19, 2009
Is FOX News "an arm of the Republican Party" as White House Communications Director Anita Dunn says?
Democratic and Independent voters beg to differ. A national survey shows that 46% of those who watch FOX News "just about every day" are Democrats or Independents as are 50% of those who watch it "several times each week" or more.
Overall, the survey showed that 21% of all American voters watched FOX News every day and 18% watched it several times each week. So, combined, 39% watched the station several times each week or more.
• Among Democrats, 17% watched it several times each week or more
• Among Independents, 46% the station several times each week or more
• And among Republicans, 55% tuned in several times each week or more
The survey indicated that 11% of all American voters watched CNN "just about every day" and 20% watched several times each week or more.
Combined, 31% watched CNN several times each week or more.
For MSNBC, the totals were 10% watched just about every day and 8% watched several times each week. Combined, 18% watched MSNBC several times each week or more.
These data, seen against the backdrop of the recent storm of White House criticism, casts the Administration attacks on FOX News in a different perspective. Could it be that the Obama Administration is concerned about FOX News not because it is "an arm of the Republican Party" but because it is so widely seen among Democrats and Independents?
That the two top spokespeople for the Administration this Sunday (Emanuel and Axelrod) both chose to attack FOX News shows how obsessed this thin-skinned president is with his coverage. It is truly amateur hour at the White House from the top down.
These data come from a national telephone survey taken by the Global Marketing Research Center in Melbourne Florida during the week of October 13-16, 2009. The survey was taken from a statistically valid national sample of 800 registered voters. 36% of the respondents said they voted for more Democrats than Republicans while 32% said they voted for more Republicans. 24% said they voted equally for each party.
The survey was funded by the League of American Voters.